Thursday, 6 October 2011

On oddities

This is the letter I just wrote to Mark Stevens:

Good evening,

As you are listed as the Stuff editor I thought you may be the best person to ask: how exactly does Stuff define "odd"? I'm unclear on exactly what is odd about this article: http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/5728613/Boy-pulls-out-teeth-after-dad-puts-off-dentist

Is it the neglect? The poverty that caused a family to not be able to afford healthcare? The possible mental illness hinted at by the reference to a psychological assessment?

I had always thought that "odd" had a connotation of something quirky, unusual and potentially entertaining, but nothing about this story seems to fit those criteria, nor any other that I can think of. This situation is, in fact, distressingly common, and there is nothing entertaining about it.

I would be grateful for some insight on this matter.

Thank you,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment